Indian Philosophy and Mathematics

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Sat Mar 14 00:49:49 UTC 1998

At 06:36 PM 3/13/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Following is a message I received from Prof. B. Ravindra.
>I am fwd-ing it to the Indology list (with his permission), since one
paragraph
>(marked with ********) is related to Indian Philosophy.
>
>I have some questions on the Subject: Indian Philosophy and Mathematics
>
>1. Which was the role of the Indian Philosophy (Brahmanism)
>in great S. Ramanujan's Mathematics?
>
>2. Are there influences of Indian Philosophies on Modern Mathematical
Theories/
>inventions?
>
>Thanks, and apologies for this long message and my bad English.
>

>Greetings from Athens
>
>Antreas

If I remember correctly, Ramanujan when questioned about his
method of solving problems, replied that he was able to solve them
by the grace of "Godess of Namakkal" and that she showed him the
solutions in his dreams.

regards,

sarma.