science topics

Stephen jp_stephens at CLASSIC.MSN.COM
Sat Mar 7 18:31:44 UTC 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Alok Kumar <kumar at OSWEGO.EDU>
To: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Date: March 6, 1998 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: science topics

I have seen many science textbooks that indicate that the
>place-value notations, zero, and the trigonometric function "sin" were
>originated in India.

As a Trigonometry student in India the first thing I learnt was that
Ramanujam, in his short life, was a major contributor to Trig. In the West
though I never see his name mentioned anywhere in most Trigonometry books. I
have come across a biography or two, but nothing else - very rarely would a
person read the biography if he did not know who Ramanujam was or what his
contributions were.  Is this an oversight or did someone else take credit
for his work?

Sujatha