science topics

Edeltraud Harzer Clear eclear at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Sat Mar 7 17:49:51 UTC 1998

>On March 6, Alok Kumar wrote:
>>I am a new member to this list.  I teach a course on the contributions of
>>various ancient civilizations to science at the State University of New
>>York, Oswego.  I have seen many science textbooks that indicate that the
>>place-value notations, zero, and the trigonometric function "sin" were
>>originated in India.  However, I have not seen any recent article that
>>provides primary references.  Almost all articles provide secondary
>>references. I would appreciate any help on this issue.
>
>See Johannes Bronkhorst, A Note on Zero and the numerical Place-Value
>System in Ancient India, in: Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques, 48:4
>(1994), p. 1039-42.
>
>Best regards
>
>   Georg v.Simson

Another similar title is:
D. Seyfort Ruegg. "Mathematical and Linguistic Models in Indian Thought:
The Case of Zero and Sunyata."
Wiener Zeitschrift fur die Kunde Sudasiens and Archiv fur indische
Philosophie. (1978) 22, pp.171-181.

Best,
Edeltraud Harzer Clear