Indo-Aryan invasion

Palaniappa Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Wed Mar 4 05:01:44 UTC 1998

In a message dated 98-03-02 04:40:30 EST, erik.seldeslachts at RUG.AC.BE writes:

<< So we have here perfect counterexamples of the situation in Northern
 India were we do not find a Dravidian layer in the names of places and
persons. >>

What about place names ending in Ur or pura/pur? What do the IA experts think
of -pura? Do they see any connection with the root *pur- meaning to  preserve,
protect, govern, etc. (DED 3515)? One of the names for forts in CT is
"puricai".

Any comments on the etymology of pATaliputra?

Regards

S. Palaniappan