Indo-Aryan invasion

Edwin Bryant ebryant at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Mar 2 16:52:25 UTC 1998

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:

> "Circumstantial evidence for identifying the language of the Indus Valley
> script with Elamite or Dravidian has been greatly strengthened by David
> McAlpin's work on the relationship between the Dravidian languages and
> Elamite. McAlpin has demonstrated that the two groups of languages derive
> from a common proto-language, Proto-Elamo-Dravidian, and that Brahui,
> traditionally assigned to the Northen Dravidian subgroup, would actually
> appear to be linguistically as well as geographically intermediate between
> the two major subgroups. ...

McAlpin published his provocative and very interesting study quite some
time ago and then he himself (if I am not mistaken) appears to have
disappeared from academic cirlces and nothing more was heard from him. In
any event, while some linguists are still open to considering his line of
argument, it is by no means universally accepted at all. Does anyone know
of any more recent work predicated on McAlpin's preliminary
investigations?  Regrards, Edwin