Tvashtr

Sun Jun 28 13:56:56 UTC 1998

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Miguel Carrasquer Vidal wrote:
> >Indeed, there is the Indo-Iranian root *tvarc' as in Avestan
> >thwOres`'tar- "creator' = tvaSTar- .
>
> Reminds me of Balto-Slavic *twor-/*twer- (as in Russian <tvorec>
> "creator").  C.D. Buck's dictionary says "outside connections
> dub[ious]."  I can't check my Pokorny whether he considers it cognate
> with or borrowed from (Indo-)Iranian.

Pokorny p. 1102 has an IE root twerk' 'schneiden'/to cut';
he compares  Avest. and Vedic,

plus:

Greek sarx, sarkos 'flesh', sarko-phagos 'coffin', and perhaps  OHG
dwerah 'oblique/transversely'

Further:
 *twrk' > *truk' > Lat. trux, trucis 'rough, pointed...', trucidare 'kill'
etc.

and O.Irish  trU < *truk-s 'consigned to death', gen. troch < *trukos.

M. Witzel   witzel at fas.harvard.edu