Samadhi

Stuart R. Sarbacker srsarbac at STUDENTS.WISC.EDU
Tue Jun 23 04:26:33 UTC 1998

In _Vision of the Vedic Poets_, Jan Gonda links the Sanskrit dhi with
dhyaana (and I believe with Samaadhi as well), with particular reference to
Patanjali's Yoga and also with Buddhist developments.  I've found his
excursis on this relationship quite useful and I would highly recommend
checking it out.  I'm not sure what the current attitude in Indological
circles is towards his text at the moment, though.

All the Best,

Stuart Sarbacker
University of Wisconsin