saras 2

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Tue Jun 9 06:25:46 UTC 1998

>Nirukta 2.23;
>'The following fifty-seven (words) [in the NighaNTu] are synonyms of
>speech. From what (root) is vAc (speech) derived? It is derived from (the
>root) vac (to speak). With reference to these, the word SarasvatI is used
>both in the sense of 'a river' and of 'a deity' in Vedic passages" (trans.
>by Lakshman Sarup).
>
>Beatrice Reusch
>University of California, Berkeley

Dear Beatrice,
        I thank you sincerely for this extract but, not understanting it
well, I'd have an other request:
        Despite the "With reference to these", it seems we have a big break
in the reasoning, between 'speech' and 'river'/'deity'. Even if we read
"vAc (deity)" and if we suppose a metonymy vAc/sarasvatI (both deities),
the 'river' is still far. An ellipsis of the metaphor 'speech'/'river'? Are
you (or someone else) in a position to explain this?
        Best regards,
Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France