Turtles in Vedic Sacrifice and the Dravidian concept of

Harold F. Arnold hfarnold at LANMINDS.COM
Thu Jul 23 02:08:34 UTC 1998

In two separate postings S. Palaniappan writes,

>In a CT poem, the longing of hero's heart for the company of his beloved is
>compared to the desire of the turtle in/near the vedic sacrificial pit with
>rising fire, for the pond with (cool) shade.

and,

>It is interesting that in a quintessential Tamil love poem we find a poet from
>a hunter background using elements of a very specific Vedic ritual!

        Isn't it more likely that we are dealing with a poet from a Vedic
ritual background who is assuming the persona of a hunter?