pancake's making

Avinash Sathaye sohum at MS.UKY.EDU
Mon Jul 13 13:14:17 UTC 1998

The art of making the maNDaka (or maa.nDe in Marathi) is very much alive even
today.
The dough is actually rolled out with skill using a rolling pin and not tossed
around by
hand like the pizza dough.

The skill is well appreciated and has even given rise to a saying in Marathi:
##maa.nDekaraNiichaa sheMbuuDa paNa kaaDhaavaa laagato ##
which can be roughly transformed as "you have to even help the blowing of the
nose for one making
maa.nDe". This is used to express the idea that you have to cater to every
little need of someone
who excels in some art.