excommunication

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Sun Jul 12 09:05:01 UTC 1998

Jacob Baltuch wrote:
>What is well known to me is that there *was* a particular battle (not with
>the "Saracenes" but with the Basques) on the 15th of August 778 at Roncevaux
>in the Pyrenees where "Roland, le comte de la marche de Bretagne" (don't
>know how to say this in English; the actual text of the chronicle is of
>course in Latin) was killed while leading the rearguard of that Charles who
>was later to become Chalemagne (at the time he wasn't yet emperor and not
>even king)

        Not so simple. 'This' story is an historical romance reconstructed
from various and very partial (both meanings) roman sources, but ignoring
the arabic ones. I can give them off-list (in French) if someone is
interested.
        Regards,
Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France