excommunication

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Sun Jul 12 00:34:39 UTC 1998

>Well known example? You must be thinking of the "Slovo a polku Igoreve" :-)
>

>Btw, I was only kidding about the "Slovo". That epic too is rooted in a
>historical event, namely the expedition of prince Igor' Svjatoslavic against
>some Turkish people, in 1185. (Of course there have been questions about
>the authenticity of the text, but that is a completely different problème.)

Excuse me for an utterly non-Indological question:

Would this be the Igor of the Borodin opera Prince Igor??

By the way, ancient epics of all sorts are usually made up of standard
legendary/mythical material ("literary archetypes") interspersed with
nuggets of historical material that is often difficult to identify, not to
say verify. Just look at the description of Attila in Germanic epics! A
clear warning not to read too much history into the Niebelungen story.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,