Indo-Kafiri-Iranian: a clarification

Christina Fritsch fritsch_archaeology at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 9 00:59:42 UTC 1998

Sorry maybe I should clarify my question:

When did the Dardic languages diverge from the Indian or Prakit
languages,  if we accept a provisional date for the rise of
Prakit/Indian languages in the mid-second millennium B.C when they
apparently existed as spoken idioms alongside Vedic Sanskrit ?

Is there a chronological framework for the divergence of
Nuristani/Kafiri languages from the Proto-Indo-Iranian family ?

Is there any substantial evidence for whether Nuristani predates the
arrival of Dardic languages in the subcontinent ?

As an archaeologist,  I am finding the literature contradictory,  and
there seems to be little interest in the question of when the
Nuristani/Kafiri languages spread to the sub-continent and there
spatial relationship to Dardic and Iranian languages.

Caroline Fritsch.
School of Fine Arts,  Classics and Archaeology.
University of Melbourne.
Parkville VIC 3052
Australia