Sanskrit

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Tue Jul 7 08:49:19 UTC 1998

Jacob Baltuch wrote:
>PS: Regarding "water was filled in the tank" I agree with Elliot. It
>    presupposes "someone filled water in the tank" and that's not possible
>    because you fill a tooth, a tank, land, a hole, a need, etc. but not
>    water, earth, etc. In other words what you do the filling with cannot
>    be the direct object of the verb "to fill". Maybe people in LA started
>    talking like this (this sort of thing seems to be liable to change
>    pretty fast in English -- ...

I fail to understand. As far as I can see, the verb "fill" can be used in
different ways, see examples in Webster's Dictionary: 1. "to fill a jar
with water"; 5. "to fill sand into a pail". And I doubt that this double
use of the verb is recent, because you have the same in German: "einen Krug
mit Wasser fuellen" and "Sand in einen Kuebel fuellen". The same holds god
for the Norwegian verb "fylle".

Regards

Georg v. Simson