passive of causatives (moving IO to SU in Skt)

T.I. Console info at TICONSOLE.NL
Mon Jul 6 12:32:30 UTC 1998

Jacob Baltuch wrote:

>raamaM veedam adhyaapayati   '(he) teaches the V. to R.'
 >raamo vedam adhyaapyate      'R. is taught the V.'

>I hope there is no problem taking the accusative 'raamaM' as an *indirect*
>objet of 'adhyaapayati'. The same could apply to the first pair since (as
>far as I know) a construction with double accusative is in principle
>possible for 'darzayati' and it becomes a matter of whether you wish to
>see the passive sentence as the passive counterpart of the double accusative
>construction or of the accusative and dative construction like I do above.
>(Note: indirect object in the genitive also possible)

I agree with you in considering one accusative the direct object, and the other accusative the indirect object, or the dative. As we all know, one and the same function or kAraka can be denoted by several cases.

>Btw, why Rama and Nala? Isn't it supposed to be Rama and Krishna? :-)

>Also why John and Mary in the Japanese example???

Good point. Nala and DamayantI, and Ichiro and Kiyoko. Better?

Sandra van der Geer
Leiden, NL
info at ticonsole.nl