A transgression?

Robert Goldman sseas at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Jan 30 16:40:01 UTC 1998

For those interested, Roerich's collection is housed and on display at the
Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath in Bangalore. The Parishath is located  in
the "Art Complex" on Kumara Krupa Rd. B'lore 560 001 and, incidentally,
houses several other interesting collections including one of "Mysore
School" paintings and one of leather shadow puppets from Karnataka.

The General Secretary, Mr. M. S. Nanjunda Rao (Tel.. 226 1816) was most
gracious when I visited the  Parishath in January of 1997 and I am sure he
would be happy to show the collections to any interested scholars.

>On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Sn. Subrahmanya wrote
>
>> Mr.Roerich also had property in Bangalore and a very valuable painting
>> collection. He was married to Devika Rani, one of the first film actresses
>> of India.
>> I think the Roerich estate was taken over by the Karnataka Govt recently.
>
>Last I knew (about a year ago) there was still a legal wrangle going on
>concerning the Bangalore estate.  (It abutted the land of the school where
>my children went from 1994-95, so I went past it frequently.)  I believe
>that Roerich's secretary or someone in that role made claims on the
>property, and as we have recently discussed, such cases are not usually
>resolved rapidly.  :-)
>
>All the best,
>Dominik
>
>--
>Dr Dominik Wujastyk        Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
>email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk      183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England

R. P.  Goldman
Sarah Kailath Professor in India Studies
Chairman
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
7303 Dwinelle Hall MC #2540
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
email: sseas at socrates.berkeley.edu