Vitthala, Pundalika and Panduranga

Anand Nayak Anand.Nayak at UNIFR.CH
Wed Jan 28 09:09:03 UTC 1998

>>I am researching a chant - Jaya Jaya Vitthala. Would anyone know who
>>Pundalika and Panduranga are and what is the significance of Vitthala, who I
>>believe is the incarnation of Visnu, standing on a brick. Also is there
>>significance in the names? The dictionary, i.e. Monier-Williams, does not
>>indicate that.
>>
>>Thank you for your kind response.
>>
>>Martin

>Deleury, The Cult of ViThobA, Deccan College, Poona, circa 1970.
>P.-S. Filliozat & V. Filliozat, Hampi-Vijayanagar, The Temple of ViTThala,
>Sitaram Bhartia Institute of Scientific Research, New Delhi, 1988.

To this bibliographie suggested by Prof. Filliozat, I can note the following:
A important author on the Purandhradasa literature is Karmarkar A.P.,
Mystic Teachings of the Haridasa of Karnataka, Dharwar, 1939; The Puranic
Anthology, Belgaum, 1955.
Another important work: Ranade R.D., Pathway to God in Kannada Literature,
Poona,1958. Consult also:
Aiyangar S.K., Early Histroy of Vaishnavism in South India, Madras, 1920.
Bhandarkar R.G., Vaisnavism, saivism and minor religious systems, Varanasi,
Motilal,1965 (reprint of Strasbourg, 1913).
The Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (Bombay) has also published books and booklets
on Purnadharadasa. Unfortunately I do not have the references here with me.

Needless to say that much of the material is found only in Kannada,
particularly the Kirtans of Purandharadasa which are sung by all Karnatic
musicians and in the homes of devout vaishnavaites  in Karnataka and also
in Maharashtra. Bookshops in Mysore,Bangalore and Dharwar/Hubli have a
number of popular kannada editions. The lyrics are powerful and worth
studying and made known in the West. I wish you all well in your research.
Contact me if you have aproblems with the Kannada texts. Anand Nayak.

Sarvesham svastirbhavatu        May all be prosperous
sarvesham santirbhavatu         May all be  peaceful
sarvesham purnambhavatu         May all be whole
sarvesam mangalambhavatu        May all be happy

INSTITUT DE MISSIOLOGIE ET DE SCIENCE DES RELIGIONS
INSTITUT FUER MISSIONS- UND RELIGIONSWISSENSCHAFTEN
Université de Fribourg
Route du Jura
CH-1700 Fribourg
Tel:    026/ 300 74 38 (Office)