"kuyava" and "ku (was "Re: solution to the "kuyava' etymology)

Rolf Heiner Koch roheko at MSN.COM
Sun Jan 25 19:35:33 UTC 1998

Me too.
I disabled the incoming of certain emails
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bh. Krishnamurti <bhk at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN>
An: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
<INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Datum: Sonntag, 25. Januar 1998 09:50
Betreff: Re: "kuyava" and "ku (was "Re: solution
to the "kuyava' etymology)

>My reaction to all this kind of discussion is to
say "kuyyo: moRRo:".BhK. I
>hate to run classes on comparative Dravidian on
internet. Thanks.

bhk at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN writes:

>><< This root kuy- is related to PD *ku: 'crow,
cry, shout, call' etc. How in
>>the world can it be the basis of
kuy-awa..'potter' on this root? >>

>>In Telugu Verbal Bases, the etymology of Te.
kUyu to howl, cry, as animals,
>>birds; to make outcry; to shout; call, prate;
kUyi n. an outcry for help, an
>>appeal, protection, etc. are traced to PDr.
*kUy-/*kU-.  The connection of
>>this root with potter can be understood in light
of his function as a priest.
>>Tamil literature provides clear linkage between
the two.

>>Even today, in Tamil, the most common word for
"calling/summoning/inviting
>>somebody" is "kUppiTu". This is derived from
"kU" or as Krishnamurthy has
>>indicated *ku. Consider the following examples:
>>
>>katumen2a karaintu vam en2a kUuy
(porunarARRuppaTai 101)

>>Here the king calling/inviting the bards is
expressed by "kUuy".

>>kalam cey kammiyar varuka en2ak kUuy
(maNimEkalai 25.124)

>>Here calling/inviting smiths is expressed by
"kUuy"

>>tAyil tUvA kuzavi pOla
>>OvAtu kUum nin2 uTaRRiyOr nATE  (puRanAnURu
4.18-19)
>>Here the crying for succour (indicated using
"kUum") by the people of the
>>country of king's enemies is compared to the
hungry(not eating) child without
>>the mother.
>>
>>Thus "KU" is used in connection with
calling/inviting/seeking succour. It is
>>also used in the context of worshipping. The
following poem by nammAzvAr makes
>>its use in worship very clear.
>>
>>pukazunal oruvan2 en2kO
>>poruvilcIrp pUmiyen2kO
>>tikazumtaN paravai en2kO
>>tIyen2kO vAyu en2kO
>>nikazum AkAcam en2kO
>>nILcuTar iraNtum en2kO
>>ikazvil ivvan2aittum en2kO
>>kaNNanaik kUvumARE           (nAlAyirat. 2930)
>>
>>Here the poet says, "Can I say he is one to be
praised or he is the earth or
>>he is the ocean or he is the fire or he is the
wind or he is the sky or he is
>>both the sun and the moon or he is all of these?
How can I praise/adore
>>krSNa?". In the last line the word used to
denote "praise/adore" is "KUvu".

>>In a poem by ANTAL, she says the following,
>>
>>"kUTTiliruntu kiLiyeppOtum
>>kOvintA kOvintA enRU azaikkum
>>UTTuk koTAtu ceRuppan2Akil
>>ulakaLantAn2 enRu uyarak kUvum...   (nalAyirat.
625)

>>Here the devotee separated from kRSNa is getting
mad at the parrot that keeps
>>praising kRSNa. She says, "Staying inside the
cage, the parrot will always
>>call/praise "O Govinda! O Govinda". When I
punish it by not giving food, it
>>will call/praise loudly saying "He who measured
the world". Here, the words
>>"azai" and "kUvu" are used synonymously.
>>
>>It is in this sense "kuyavan2" might mean one
who
>>calls/summons/invites/praises the divinity in
his role as priest. It looks as
>>though "kuyavan2" was the potter-priest while
"veLkO" or "vETkO" could have
>>been the potter-warrior/chieftain.
>>
>>In RV 103.8, the negative interpretation "one
who babbles" does not seem
>>appropriate to be applied to just one of many
non-RV-Aryan enemies, who all
>>must be speaking non-RV-Aryan languages. On the
other hand, if the name was
>>Dravidian, they would not call themselves by
such negative epithets. As I had
>>mentioned in another posting, the earliest
attestation of "kuyavan2" occurs in
>>a "priestly" context. As the Sanskritization of
the society increased, the
>>origin of the name from  a priestly role was
probably forgotten and both
>>"vELar" and "kuyavan2" being treated
synonymously in all aspects.