Languages ( was : Yiddish translation of Gita

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jan 23 11:58:44 UTC 1998

>> I see language as a flexible
>>and changeable system that can be manipulated to express any >given
>concept...
>
>Yes but when you manipulate it you're having corresponding cultural
>resonance to that. In the case of Faschism or Ccmmunism they had an
>ideological brainwashing together with ideological activism going on at the
>same time. Thus the cultural background was creating "reality" for the
>shifts of meaning of a number of words and concepts as well as the eventual
>introduction of new ones.

But that is precisely what I said already! Language can be manipulated, and
through various kinds of manipulation be made to express any idea or
thought, or for that matter, any set of values. What is interesting about
Faschism, is that the manipulation happened so quickly. In the matter of
little more than a decade, the German language was imbued with all sorts of
concepts and ideas that either hadn't been there before, or only had been
known to a small group of people (the Nazis and their ideological
adherents). After the war, the German language had to be "cleansed" of its
Nazi concepts and vocabulary. In DDR, you got a new round of manipulation,
this time with Communist terms and ideas.

It seems that we have come full circle in our discussion, which has been
rather fun.

>Best regards
>
>Jesualdo Correia

I may be dense, but I had the impression that I was discussing with a lady
called Winnie Fellows. So who is Jesualdo Correia?

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,