Yiddish translation of Gita (?)

Jacob Baltuch jacob.baltuch at EURONET.BE
Mon Jan 19 19:40:30 UTC 1998

>My God, who on earth would be interested in reading this classical text  in
>a german patois ? What could be the meaning of such a translation?

As pretentious, snobbish and ill informed statements go, I have
not seen many that have come close.

It would be worth having a translation of the giitaa (or any work
of universal importance) in _any_ language, patois, dialect, idiom
or creole whatsoever.

Using what kind of argument can one reasonably justify the view that
people who speak a given language should be denied access to a signi-
ficant text?

Besides Yiddish, that mere "German patois" by some pompous ignoramuses,
is also a language that has been the medium of several great writers
(one of them a Nobel Prize winner) and of an important culture.