Indian Culture and Society Free Course:help

Edeltraud Harzer Clear eclear at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Sat Jan 17 01:36:24 UTC 1998

Dear Professor Caixeiro,
We often have to do such courses in the US. I can share only
from my own experience. If you care this was my approach
in one of the instances I faced.

First I decided what the main topics had to be. Say
I chose ten topics and I had ten weeks for a term. (I am
simplifying this a bit.) Then I decided on the order of the
topics: history of South Asia, religions (obviously you can use
more than one week or time segment if you want to cover Hindu,
Buddhist, Jain, and Islamic traditions), literatures,
languages (including demography, geography), art and architecture
(which could include paleography), political ideas, society
and so forth.

I think of the students as of an intelligent and educated audience,
but unfamiliar with subjects on India. As an example for an inspiration
I would recommend the little book of lectures of A.L.Basham, called
THE ORIGINS AND DEVELOPMENT OF CLASSICAL HINDUISM, Oxford University
Press 1992.

Once I had a rough outline of my syllabus, I would ask myself what is it
I would like the students to know after they finished the course. I came
up with the Bhagavadgita (I am sure that there must be translations
into Portugese, besides the students probably also read other
European languages, so there certainly will be some translation
available in the library.)Or any of the epics, whether from the Sanskrit
or Tamil; or M.K. Gandhi's MY EXPERIMENTS WITH TRUTH.

If you have a chance to obtain films or videos on some of the
aspects that you will be teaching, that is always helpful, since
you'll be talking about a world beyond the students' imagination.

If you would like to pursue this further you can write to me
directly on my email address:
eclear at uts.cc.utexas.edu

Good luck.

Edeltraud Harzer Clear