Tamil words in English

Sn. Subrahmanya sns at IX.NETCOM.COM
Fri Feb 20 16:16:58 UTC 1998

At 10:53 AM 2/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Just because translating word for word from a modern Indian language
>is acceptable Modern Sanskrit, you cannot conclude that modern Indian
>languages are descended from Sanskrit.

I am NOT asserting that modern Indian languages are descended from Sanskrit.
All that I am suggesting is that the gulf that is supposed to exist between
North and South Indian languages may not be all that is made out to be.
Also the tendency of linguists to hurriedly classify words to be of dravidian
or Indo-european without any kind of comprehensive verification is not valid.

Subrahmanya
Houston, TX