Tamil words in English

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Feb 19 20:50:36 UTC 1998

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Jacob Baltuch wrote:

> ... later I saw the post by Lars Martin Fosse outlining some of
> the statements made by one such "scholar", one Rajaram. Boy,
> oh boy! ...
>
> I think that some of his statements go beyond mere ignorance
> and are outright dishonest.

You raise a very interesting and extremely sensitive point.  Members of
INDOLOGY have by now got used to going a few rounds from time to time on
the topic of the Aryan Homeland.  Those of us with doctoral or
post-doctoral qualifications in formal Indic studies have tended to assume
that the people who incessantly propound secret Rig Vedic codes,
astrological secrets, Himalayan homelands, and so on must be lacking in
either acumen or else correct information.  What none of us has grappled
with seriously, at least in public, is the possibility that such people
are mischievous or worse.

I actually think that this topic is probably too hot to discuss in a
public forum.

All the best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk        Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk      183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England