Tamil words in English

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Feb 19 14:16:56 UTC 1998

        The debate on the Aryans is heating up again.  I do not have the
energy to enter into it on the net.  However, since there was a reference
to the Michigan-Lausanne 1996 seminar on the topic "Aryan and Non-Aryan in
south Asia: Evidence, Interpretation and Ideology" in the recent
discussion, I would like to inform that the papers presented at this
seminar are being edited at the moment and we expect the volume to appear
toward the end of 1998 or early 1999.  The question of whether the
migration of indo-european languages outward from India be justified on
the basis of the available evidence was discussed at length at this
seminar, and a special paper devoted to this topic by Professor Hans H.
Hock will be included in the seminar volume.  The volume will be published
by the Center for South and Southeast Asian Studies, University of
Michigan, Ann Arbor, and is edited by Johannes Bronkhorst and Madhav
Deshpande.  All I can say is that the enthusiastic reports about the
demise of the Aryan migration theory are indeed premature.
        All the best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande