Hindi-Urdu echo-nouns in v

Richard Salomon rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Feb 20 02:04:04 UTC 1998

By the way, these "echo-formations" are of course not limited to Hindi: C.
Masica (The
Indo-Aryan Languages, pp.80-1) discusses them in the NIA languages
generally, and further (in Defining a Linguistic Area, p. 189) lists them
as an "Indian Area-Defining" feature (no.10, with references to Emeneau
and Bloch), attested also in Dravidian and Munda.

RS