BUDDHIST REJECTION OF MUSIC

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Feb 18 17:46:27 UTC 1998

This reminds me of my college days in Pune.  There were a number of Thai
and Cambodian monks studying at the Fergusson College in Pune, and they
watched Hindi movies along with other college students with the same
frequency.  Once I asked one of these monks how they could watch these
Hindi movies when the Buddha forbid them from watching dances, songs, etc.
(nacca-giita-vaadita-visuukadassana etc. in the Vinaya).  One of the monks
responded by saying that the sole purpose of watching the Hindi movies was
to feel disgusted by them, and that was not forbidden by the Buddha.
        All the best,
                                Madhav Deshpande