Tamil words in English

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Feb 17 17:41:57 UTC 1998

At 08:34 AM 2/17/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Both forms and all the related names for the Koel or Eudynamis
>>scolopaceus (Linn.) in modern Indo-Aryan and Dravidian languages are of
>>course derived from Sanskrit kokila, Prakrit kOila, *kOyila.
>>
>>Erik Seldeslachts
>

>kuyil could have arisen independently in Dravidian.
>Dravidian Etymological Dictionary (Revised edition) 1984
>has the entry no. 1764 as:
>
>1764 Ta. kuyil koel, Indian cuckoo, Eudynamis honorata;
>(kuyilv-, kuyin2R-) to call, whoop, halloo; utter, tell;
>kuyiRRu (kuyiRRi-) to tell, utter. Ma. kuyil, kuzil
>Indian cuckoo, Cuculus or E. Orientalis   ...
>
>In connection with the meaning to call, etc.,
>Dr. Bh. Krishnamurti in a posting on 1/17/98 said that
>the root "*ku:(y) occurs in all subgroups of Dravidian
>(DEDR 1868; Skt. ku:jita- is said to have been derived from Dravidian)."
>kuyil could be related to this root.
>
>We must consider another possibility.
>In Collected Papers on Dravidian Linguistics, T. Burrow
>says in p. 198 that Sanskrit kokila which is attested
>from mahAbhArata onward is from Dravidian.
>
>N. Ganesan

Even if we assume that kokila in sanskrit is of dravidian origin,
the word koel in english is more likely  to be derived from telugu
kOyila or hindi koyel rather than kuyil of tamil from the affinity
sounds.

regards,
sarma.