indrAdayaH surAH

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Wed Feb 11 08:42:44 UTC 1998

>Indra is the LokapAla of the east direction. The directions are generally
>surveyed starting from the east and clockwise. In Tantric ritual texts one
>often sees the expression indrAdI"sAnaparyantam meaning "from east to
>north-east" (ex. AjitAgama XXIX.195). In this way indrAdayaH surAH may be
>the LokapAla-s.
>
>Pierre-Sylvain Filliozat

        Thanks. That seems a good explanation but open an other request.
The MMW dictionary (s.v. lokapAla) gives, refering to Mn.V,96, the list:
E: indra
SE: agni
S: yama
SW: sUrya
W: varuNa
NW: pavana or vAyu
N: kubera
NE: soma or candra
and he gives the variants nirRti for SW and IzAnI or pRthivI for NE.
        This list seems without any structure. How it is theologically
explained? I can't believe the choice was randomly made!
        Best,
Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France