indrAdayaH surAH

Pierre-Sylvain Filliozat pfilliozat at MAGIC.FR
Tue Feb 10 09:51:28 UTC 1998

>Dear Indologists,
>        I've found in MMW dictionary, under Adi, the syntagm indrAdayaH
>surAH (without any reference). But it seems to me that, in the Rg veda, the
>lists of Gods begin more frequently by vAyu than by indra. Even in the
>mahAbhArata, arjuna is a third son. What could be a list of Gods begining
>by indra? it's a canonical gaNa? from which text?
>        I'd like to be enlightened.
>Dominique
>
>Dominique THILLAUD
>Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France

Indra is the LokapAla of the east direction. The directions are generally
surveyed starting from the east and clockwise. In Tantric ritual texts one
often sees the expression indrAdI"sAnaparyantam meaning "from east to
north-east" (ex. AjitAgama XXIX.195). In this way indrAdayaH surAH may be
the LokapAla-s.

Pierre-Sylvain Filliozat