devaanaampriya? (was Re: something else)

Anshuman Pandey apandey at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Feb 10 06:25:31 UTC 1998

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Jacob Baltuch wrote:

> >But this is not the earliest reference available. I have seen it
> >in the Maitrayanisamhita (although written as two distinct words
> >in von Schroeder's edition).
>
> But then since this connotation is so old, how come azoka (and per
> Anshuman's post candragupta) were not worried people would chuckle? :)

On another side note; The curious thing is, and as inscriptions at
Jaugada, Shahbazgarhi, etc. show, Ashoka continued to use the epithet even
after his 'conversion' to Buddhism.

Regards,
Anshuman Pandey