brahmi? (was Re: Origin of Dravidian languages)

Jacob Baltuch jacob.baltuch at EURONET.BE
Mon Feb 9 21:12:58 UTC 1998

Can you tell me what the earliest attested use of brahmi is?

I've always thought the earliest specimens of brahmi writing
were azoka's. But last December someone posted an article from the
"MP Chronicle" where I've found: "Archaeologists discover remains
of temple in Sehore [...] A 6th century BC punch mark coin with an
elephant and inscription in Brahmi on one side and svastika and Ujjaini
signs and tree on the reverse was found at Ninnaur"

And something completely different:

I was surprised (given the metaphore) to read in some translation
of azoka's edicts he styled himself deevaanaaMpriya. What's the earliest
attested metaphorical use?