Tamil words in English

Erik Seldeslachts erik.seldeslachts at RUG.AC.BE
Mon Feb 9 08:31:13 UTC 1998

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:

> >A. K. Ramanujan once told me Koel is from tamil kuyil.
> >He uses the word Koel in his translations from Tamil too.
>
> Saying that all these words are from Tamil only may not be correct.
> For example Koel can be from telugu "koyila". Telugu word is much
> closer than "kuyil".

Both forms and all the related names for the Koel or Eudynamis
scolopaceus (Linn.) in modern Indo-Aryan and Dravidian languages are of
course derived from Sanskrit kokila, Prakrit kOila, *kOyila.

Regards,

Erik Seldeslachts
Universiteit Gent
Belgium