Sutras.

Carlos Lopez clopez at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Feb 3 01:47:49 UTC 1998

for this information you should first read Oldenberg's introduction to the
Grhya sutras in teh SBE series....that would the most immediate
thing.....unfortunately grhya texts is a very understudied topic now a days

On Monday, February 02, 1998 4:07 PM, Nikhil Rao [SMTP:nrao at CAIP.RUTGERS.EDU]
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What are the different grhya sutras followed ?.From what I have know
> they are
>
> Sutra          Veda
>
> Ashvalayana - Rgveda
> Apastambha  - Krishna Yajur
> Parashara - ??
> Gobhila - Sama Veda (?)
> Katyayana - ??
> Sankhyayana - Rgveda (?)
> Latyayana - Samaveda (?)
> Jaiminiya - Samaveda
> Hiranyakeshaya - Krishna Yajur (?)
> Baudhayana - Krishna Yajur (?)
> Gautama. - ??
> Manava - ??
> Kauthuma - Sama veda.
>
> What are the sutras in practice today and what is the relation of the
> sutras to the vedas,gotras. Also not having gone through the sutras, what
> exactly is their content ?. Also, what information is available about the
> authors ?.
>
> Please accept my apologies if this list is not appropriate for my
> questions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Nikhil
ye paakazaMsaM viharanta evair ye vaa bhadraM duuSayanti svadhaabhiH
ahaye vaa taan pradadaatu soma aa vaa dadhaatu nirRter upasthe (RV 7.104.9)

Those who keep apart the man who praises sincerely or those who willingly
cause the fortunate man to become corrupt
let Soma place them before Ahi or place (them) in the lap of annihilation
Carlos Lopez                            clopez at fas.harvard.edu
Dept. of Sanskrit
Harvard University