B. K. Smith's books

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 31 15:36:05 UTC 1998

I wrote:
NG>  Pl. see B. K. Smith, Classifying the Universe, Oxford UP, 1994.
NG>  Prof. Smith notes in p. 10 that Vedic literature represents
NG>  a world view of its authors, the Brahmins which need not
NG>  adequately reflect the world views of other strata, particularly
NG>  the lower strata of Shudras.

Mr. Bijoy Misra's comment:
>Looks like one would show anything to put forth a claim that
>Dravidian culture foreshadowed IA.  Could be true, but not thru
>Smith.  Poor connection.
[...]
>My knowledge of Dravidian material is miniscule.

          It is interesting that if one studies Dravidian
          culture/literature (atleast from translations), s/he won't
          be pushing the Indigenous Aryan "theories"
          or justify varNa color theories.

          Reading the books by B. K. Smith and the favorable
          reviews, a sample of which is attached, I tend to
          believe in Prof. Smith's theory on varNa.

          Of course, David Frawley and company confuse
          and distort.

         I wait for the day when Mr. Bijoy Misra writes
         a book or a journal article disproving Smith's
         varna theory. Until then, I would rather go with
         Prof. Smith.

         Regards,
         N. Ganesan

       Classifying the Universe: The Ancient Indian "Varna" System and
the
       Origins of Caste. (book reviews) Bruce Lincoln.
             History of Religions May 1997 v36 n4 p393(3)

       Classifying the Universe: The Ancient Indian Varna System and the
       Origins of Caste. (book reviews) Brian A. Hatcher.
             Journal of the American Academy of Religion Winter 1996 v64
n4
       p863(4)

       Classifying the Universe: The Ancient Indian Varna System and the
       Origins of Caste. (book reviews) Kenneth G. Zysk.
             The Journal of Asian Studies August 1996 v55 n3 p770(2)

       Classifying the Universe: The Ancient Indian Varna System and the
       Origins of Caste. (book reviews) Frederick M. Smith.
             The Journal of the American Oriental Society April-June
1996
       v116 n2 p344(3)

       Classifying the Universe: The Ancient Indian Varna System and the
       Origins of Caste. (book reviews) Bradley R. Hertel.
             The Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion June 1995
v34
       n2 p283(2)

       Classifying the Universe: The Ancient Indian Varna System and the
       Origins of Caste. (book reviews) George W. Spencer.
             American Historical Review Feb 1995 v100 n1 p214(2)

       Reflections on Resemblance, Ritual and Religion. (book reviews)
       Wendell L. Minnick.
             Journal of Asian History Spring 1991 v25 n1 p85(2)

       Reflections on Resemblance, Ritual and Religion. (book reviews)
J.C.
       Heesterman.
             History of Religions Feb 1991 v30 n3 p296(10)

       Reflections on Resemblance, Ritual, and Religion. (book reviews)
       Frederick M. Smith.
             The Journal of the American Oriental Society Oct-Dec 1990
v110
       n4 p735(3)