Early Giithaa sculptures

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 28 21:35:21 UTC 1998

<<<
I believe I have read somewhere, I think it was in introduction to
Sankara's Gita Bhashya (I am not sure of the translator - Swami
Panavananda
???) that the BG is placed as far back as 3102 BC which was the date for
the Mahabharata war and the beginning of Kali Yuga. ...

  Just reading Eric Wolf's People without History.
  When the chronological thinking came to India,
  first from Muslims, and then Europeans, Hindus
  have a problem.

  I do not know how to explain Giitaa's date as 3102 BC.

   Just like Vedas are 5000 BC & Giitaa told to be 3100 BC,
  some overenthusiastic Tamils date Sangam age, Tolkaappiyam
  to be 4000 BC, 8000 BC, so on.

   They try to connect Continental Drift, Lemuria,
   Gondwana, etc., The main source is 8th century AD,
   iRaiyanAr akapporuL, recently made available in a
   scholarly English edition by David C. Buck and K. Paramasivan.

   They calculate the age of I, II, III Tamil sangams, from
   generation of poets, kings told there;
   the flood myths narrated in CilappatikAram, iRaiyanAr
   akapporuL etc.,

   However, I have a belief in dates proposed in Academic
   university press publications. There may be some fixes
   needed there, but not 4000 BC stories.

   Regards,
   N. Ganesan