The Aryans (again); 19th century discourse.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 28 13:02:01 UTC 1998

<<<
I do not have Bp. Caldwell's pioneering grammar with me, but, from
memory,
I believe that he outlines the etymology of Tamil differently, the
reverse:

dravi.da/(var.)drami.da > drami.la > dami.la > tamil

  R. Caldwell's works were published in 1856. In the intervening
  140 years, lot of linguists have written that Caldwell is
  mistaken in this. In fact, the derivation is the otherway around.
  Will give Zvelebil's writing on Caldwell soon. Pl. see in
  Indology archives my posting with the title "dramiDa/dramiDa".
  Well, it should be "dramiDa/draviDa".

  V. I. Subramaniam, K. V. Zvelebil, and other Dravianists say:
  tamiz > dami.la > drami.la > dravi.da/(var.)drami.da

  Regards
  N. Ganesan