SV: creation of human kind

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 25 20:50:59 UTC 1998

The Vaishnava bhakti tradition of the power of God
to cancel karma is similar the Mahayana doctrine
where bodhisattvas cancel the karma of those suffering
in different types of hell (cf. Har dayal, Bodhisattva
doctrine in Buddhist sanskrit lit.)

The ability of God's control increases after Bhakti
assumes prominence.

Regards,
N. Ganesan

>In Hinduism, God cannot control the law
>of karma, yet God is still seen as all-powerful.

Just for the record, as far as I am aware, in the Hindu tradition, God
is
described as the controller of the law of karma.  One reference for this
is
a quote from a translation of Brahma-samhita by Bhaktisiddhanta
Sarasvati
Thakura of the Gaudiya Vaisnava tradition:

"I adore the primeval Lord Govinda, who burns up to their roots all
fruitive
activities of those who are imbued with devotion and impartially ordains
for
each the due enjoyment of the fruits of one's activities, for all those
who
walk in the path of work, in accordance with the chain of their
previously
performed works, no less in the case of the tiny insect that bears the
name
indragopa than in that of Indra, king of the devas" (Sri Brahma-samhita,
verse 54).