SV: Sanskrit translations in Nazi hands

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Fri Dec 25 10:23:47 UTC 1998

This is very interesting. Could you give us some examples of how Alsdorf manipulates the texts?

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo
Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19
Fax: +47 22 32 12 19
Email: lmfosse at online.no

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra:    Rolf Koch [SMTP:roheko at T-ONLINE.DE]
Sendt:  24. desember 1998 14:25
Til:    INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
Emne:   Re: Sanskrit translations in Nazi hands

At the Nazi times it were the German Indology which delivered all the
material about blood etc to the Nazis. There was never a process of
cleaning in the Indology in after Nazis times and therefore it is one
reason for the unscholarity methode which is still dominating the
after-Nazi German Indology.  Check for example only one publication of
ALSDORF very carefully and believe nothing, check the manuscripts and
compare it with the texts as given by ALSDORF: you will be surprised. I
have checked nearly all publications of ALSDORF, they may be ignored all
together:  the Studies on the Uttarajjhayana, The Kumarapalapratibodha,
The Agadadatta-story, or, another wonderful example: The translation of
the Prakrit Kokasa-tale. Be again very carefully in the publications of
METTE etc.(pupil of ALSDORF, as BRUHN - as far as I know).
The actual German Indology is not possible to understand without the
Nazitime. The very low standard has to be explained with a very strong
view on the Nazitime.