'Siva and Avalokite'svara

Leonard Zwilling zwilling at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU
Sat Dec 19 18:12:40 UTC 1998

UdbhaTasiddhasvAmin  was also the author of  an antibrahmanical polemic,
the VizeSastava, in which the superiority of the Buddha is established by
comparing his character and deeds with those of  Hindu deities.  A
translation and study of this work with its commentary (surviving in Tibetan
translation only) has also been published by Dr, Johannes Schneider as "Der
Lobpreis der Vorzuglichkeit des Buddha",  volume 23 in the series Indica et
Tibetica, Bonn, 1993. My own small contributions to the study of the
VizeSastava published in 1978 and 1979 have, needless to say, been entirely
superseded by the work of Dr. Schneider.