'Siva and Avalokitezvara

Narayan S. Raja raja at IFA.HAWAII.EDU
Wed Dec 16 03:22:51 UTC 1998

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, N. Ganesan wrote:

>   Compare 'Siva and Avalokitezvara: Both have
>   nrttezvara, nIlakantha, hAlahAla forms.

I have not made a special study of this,
so I'm relying on daily experience.

I have seen hundreds of images/pictures of
Avalokitesvara/Kuan Yin/Kwanseum Posal/Kannon.
I can assure you that
"nrttezvara, nIlakantha, hAlahAla forms"
are rare (in fact, I don't remember a
single one).  I don't doubt that they
exist.  But they are untypical.  You
will have to search hard for them.

There is a famous picture of Mao in his
sixties, swimming across the Yangtze river
in winter.  This is an untypical aspect of
Mao.  On the basis of this untypical aspect
of Mao, we cannot conclude that he is closely
related to the "baiji" or Yangtze river dolphin.
  :-)  :-)  No offence, can't resist.   :-)

>   Both sport 20 common weapons.

Many Indian, esp. Tantric, deities do.
Why, my own 11-year old nephew... well,
let me leave it at that.

> Both teach
>   grammar to Panini and Agastya.

This is a really interesting link, one
that I din't know about.  Thank you.
Would like to know more...

> Both are drishti gurus.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's that?
Is it an astrological term?

> Both have siva-sakthi, maNi-padma unions, ....

Many Tantric deities do.  Why, I myself...
well, let's stop here.

Best regards.  No offence intended by
the silly jokes.

Raja.