'Siva and Avalokitezvara

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 15 21:24:44 UTC 1998

N. S. Raja writes:
<<<
Sugar is whitish, crystalline, is produced by
boiling a liquid, is prized by humans, and is
added to tea in small quantities.  Salt is also
whitish, crystalline, is produced by evaporating
a liquid, is prized by humans, and -- in Tibet --
is added to tea in small quantities.  Yet,
one would be seriously mistaken to say
"salt is sugar in a Tibetan garb".

  I do not know if Tibetan Tea has sugar or salt.
  Is salt added really? I would think milk
  will get spoiled, unless one drinks salty
  tea soon after its preparation.
  Want to read on the recipes of salty Tibetan tea.

  I am afraid that this analogy of salt and sugar
   to 'Siva and Avalokitezvara does not work.
  At the very least, post 630 AD.

  Compare salt and sugar: density, taste, chemical
  structure, ... are very different.
  So, I will never say that "Salt is sugar in a
  Tibetan garb".

  Compare 'Siva and Avalokitezvara: Both have
  nrttezvara, nIlakantha, hAlahAla forms.
  Both sport 20 common weapons. Both teach
  grammar to Panini and Agastya. Both are
  drishti gurus. Both have siva-sakthi,
  maNi-padma unions, ....
  That's why I said that "Avalokitezvara is
  Siva in Buddhist garb".

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan