SV: diabetes, epilepsy, hedgehogs

Mary Storm umadevi at SFO.COM
Mon Dec 14 19:39:22 UTC 1998

A while ago J. Baltuch wrote asking about hedgehogs, diabetes, epilepsy
and gypsies (sounds like a new age rock group).
I  don't know if this helps, but:  Epilepsy is sometimes considered a
blessing of the goddess (or god). A while back I was checking out some
Newari ladies who were considered to be devata chadne or deo maju, they
would "channel" the goddess Hariti. One woman in particular knew that
she had epilepsy, but considered it a lucky coincidence that her
epileptic seizures also allowed her to be accessible to Hariti Ma.
Mary