Kashmir Shaivism

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 6 13:12:29 UTC 1998

Sorry for the confusion caused by my translation.
In both sculpture and texts (eg., tEvAram),
'Siva is explicitly shown and told of wearing
FEMALE ear rings (tOTu).

Reagards,
N. Ganesan

------------------------------------

The passage cited by Ganesan need not indicate a female earring.  The
kings and other folks in the society used to wear Kundalas, the
ear-rings.  Wearing an earring was a common thing for Pandits in
Maharashtra until my grand-father's time.  There are instances of kings
honoring a Pandit with a gift of an earring ( = bhikbaaLii in Marathi).
Male children have their ears pierced in Maharashtra to this day.  My
ears
were pierced as a child and this came handy when I acted in zaakuntalam
and maalavikaagnimitram as the king (during my college days in Pune),
and
I had to wear the Kundalas.  I have a photograph of myself as Duzyanta
prove it.
        Best,
                                Madhav Deshpande