Orientalism (was: Re: SV: Vicious Debate)

Robert J. Zydenbos zydenbos at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Dec 4 07:25:03 UTC 1998

N. Ganesan wrote:

> Want to read critiques, both for and against,
> on E. Said's Orientalism thesis.
> Any references will be appreciated.
>
> Recently, R. Zydenbos told that this has been
> exploded.

What comes to mind here is what Halbfass has written in the collection
of articles _Beyond Orientalism: The Work of Wilhelm Halbfass and its
Impact on Indian and Cross-cultural Studies_, ed. E. Franco and K.
Preisendanz (Amsterdam / Atlanta: Rodopi, 1997). It was reviewed by
J.E.M. Houben not very long ago in the _IIAS Newsletter_ (no. 15 (Winter
1998), p. 16.).

Houben quotes Halbfass, who in the book asks whether he, by studying
India, is an agent of evil colonial powers. (I too ask that question now
and then.) Also examples of Said's tendentious sloppiness are given.

RZ