Mysore inscriptions

Robert J. Zydenbos zydenbos at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Aug 31 21:55:53 UTC 1998

Royce Wiles <Royce.Wiles at ANU.EDU.AU> wrote:

> A colleague working on Indian dating has asked me the questions below,
> any information would be welcome.
>
> >I am working from L. Rice's Mysore inscriptions (Bangalore, 1879) ...

He should not be working with that antiquated edition! Since 1971 a
_very_ enhanced edition has been brought out by the University of Mysore
as _Epigraphia Carnatica_. (To give one example: vol. 2, the epigraphs
from Sravanabelagola, contained 144 insciptions. The revised version
(1973) contains 573.) All the inscriptions are given in Kannada script,
the more interesting ones also in Latin transliteration, and
translations are given at the back of the volume.

RZ