question on the word "ratha"

Benjamin Preciado bprecia at COLMEX.MX
Mon Aug 10 16:17:56 UTC 1998

Dear Dr. Palaniappan
Could you please give me the e-address of the Cologne online lexicon you mention in your message? Thanks and congratulations for your learned postings.
Benjamin Preciado

-----Mensaje original-----
De:     Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan [SMTP:Palaniappa at AOL.COM]
Enviado el:     Miércoles 29 de Julio de 1998 11:57 AM
Para:   INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
Asunto: question on the word "ratha"

In the Cologne online Digital Lexicon, the word "ratha" is given the following
meanings.

ratha
Meaning1 m. (4. %{R}) `" goer "' , a chariot , car , esp. a two-wheeled war-
chariot (lighter and swifter than the %{anas} q.v.) , any vehicle or equipage
or carriage (applied also to the vehicles of the gods) , waggon , cart RV. &c.
&c. (ifc. f. %{A}) ; a warrior , hero , champion MBh. Katha1s. BhP. ; the body
L. ; a limb , member , part L. ; Calamus Rotang L. ; Dalbergia Ougeinensis L.
; = %{pauruSa} L. ; (%{I}) f. a small carriage or waggon , cart S3is3

The word "tariratha" is given the following meaning.

tariratha
Meaningm. `" boat-wheel "' , an oar L.

Has the word "ratha" been used in Sanskrit texts to refer to the wheel per se
instead of the chariot/wagon? Is the meaning "wheel" found in Vedic?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
S. Palaniappan