Telugu history

S Krishna mahadevasiva at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 30 21:34:14 UTC 1998

I had said:

>>*by the 12th century, when the maNipravALam style held sway,
>>*samskrtization had taken root so firmly that there were Tamil
>>*works with more Samskrt words than Tamil words.

>Mr Ganesan says:
>>I do not know what works are being referred here.

  When I said "works", I had specific pieces in mind, not the whole
corpus of writing in Tamil. Kamil Zvelebil for example,("Smile of
murukan") gives us an analytical break up of Tamil vs Samskrt words in
the poems of aruNagirinAtar, the 14th/15th century Tamil poet. He
specifically quotes two verses ( one of which starts as "nAta pintu
kalAti namO nama") in which more than 50% of the words are Samskrt. I
believe that this is a very generic feature of aruNagirinAtar's works.

  We also have the savant and grammarian cuvAminAta dEcikar, who
supports writing in a samskrtized style; though he himself was from the
17th-18th centuries,I think that the works used by him in order to
formulate his views date back to the 12th-14th centuries.

  Lastly, I have read this statement in the works of Dr M.VaratarAjan2
 who lists( from what I remember) tamil zrIvaiSNava works where
over-Samskrtization is a feature. (I unfortunately donot remember the
names of the works he lists).

 REgards,
Krishna