human sacrifice (allusion to Abraham)

Adrian Burton adrian.burton at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Apr 24 03:10:37 UTC 1998

I certainly wouldn't like to pour ghee onto the fire, but.........

(and although this is certainly not a laughing matter),

 I wondered whether anyone had seen yesterday's report from Bhopal in the
Navabharat Times entitled "Mother slits gut and drinks blood of her
suckling baby".

         According to the article this is  a case of severe mental illness
and not at all related to any ritual sacrifice - although the poor baby did
die.

Adrian Burton

(p.s. I'm certainly not trying to bash mother Bharat ;  equally bad or
worse things happen all over the world all the time.  I'm just adding some
topical news to our scholarly discussion of human sacrifice)