Horses in Megaliths

N. Ganesan GANESANS at CL.UH.EDU
Mon Apr 13 13:44:25 UTC 1998

When I get a bibliography from
Ms. Praveena Gullapalli/Dr. Greg Possehl, I will post that mail
too. They informed that there are horse remains and horse trappings in
Indian megaliths. References worth looking into:

a) Lawrence S. Leshnik, Some early Indian horse-bits and other
bridle equipment, Americal J. Arch., 75, 1, 141-150, 1971

b) K. R. Alur, Animal remains: B. skeletal remains (verterbrata)
(in) M. S. Nagaraja Rao, Protohistoric cultures of the Tungabhadra valley.
1971, Dharvar

c) P. K. Thomas, Horse remains from Raipur
(in) G. B. Deglurkar and Gouri P. Lad,
Megalithic Raipur (1985-1990), Poona: Deccan college
p. 133-136, 1992

d) P. C. Pant, The megaliths of Jangal mahaland the Vedic tradition,
(in) V. N. Misra, P. Bellwood,
Recent advances in Indo-Pacific prehistory, Delhi, 1985

e) A. Parpola, Arguments for an Aryan origin of South Indian
megaliths.
Madras: Govt. of Tamil Nadu, 1973

f) K. P.Rao, Interpreting animal remains in Megalithic graves.
(in) A. M. Shastri, D. Handa and C. S. Gupta.
Visvambra: Probings in Orientology, Delhi, 1995

g) V. V. Rao, Animal remains from Paunar
(in) S. B. Deo, M. K. Dhavalikar,
Paunar excavation (1967), Univ. of Nagpur, 1968

h) N. Wyatt, Asvamedha and Purusamedha in ancient India,
Religion, 1989, v. 19, 1, p. 1-11.

Regards,
N. Ganesan