RGVedic AryAs

Chris Beetle bvi at AFN.ORG
Wed Apr 8 16:34:24 UTC 1998

At 03:40 AM 4/7/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>Ganesan wrote...
>
>> From the day Mr. Bhadriah Mallampalli started writing his
>> hypothesis/theories on Vedas, I was wondering.
>
>> Astonished to hear that one can talk of Vedas without knowing
>> Sanskrit!!
>
>To say that one has to know Sanskrit to talk of, or understand vedas is an
>insult to every other language, also insult to every other living being.  To
>understand veda all you need is identify bRhaspati in oneself.

Here is one reference from the UpaniZads that sheds some light on the
qualification for actually understanding the knowledge contained in the Vedas.

yasya deve para bhaktir
yatha deve tatha gurau
tasyaite kathita hy arthAH
prakAZante mahAtmanaH

"Only unto those great souls who have implicit faith in both the Lord and
the spiritual master are all the imports of Vedic knowledge automatically
revealed." (ZvetAZvatara UpaniSad 6.23)

Chris Beetle